Let's keep North Bay Clean, Green and Beautiful, one project at a time!
We had an amazing 2020 thanks to you! We doubled our number of participants, delivered 7000+ bags for a litter-free city, planted trees, increased our tree canopy and more!
YOU made the difference and YOU can do it again! Let's work together to create an even more clean, green, safe and beautiful community in 2021.
Bag deliveries start March 8 and continue to November. Order your bags through the link below and your bags will be delivered right to your door.
Our first neighborhood challenge is to be litter free!
Goals for 2021:
- Building on our 2020 initiatives.
- Prepare for Communities in Bloom (2022 submission).
- Securing partnerships and funding.
- Connecting to school communities.
- Storm sewer adoption program.
- Walking tours.
- Adopt a street, bus stop, beach, pathway or trail in your neighborhood. How can you recycle, reuse and reduce your litter impact.
- Order your bags starting March 1. Leave your bags out on regular garbage day and Miller Waste will pick them up free of charge until November.
- Set a date to do your pickup and register your project.
- Share your before and after photos to our Facebook Group
Clean Green Beautiful North Bay Events
- March 1 - order your bags
- March 8 to October - bag delivery
- April 22 to 25
- Future events will be posted on website, Facebook and Instagram.
- We ask that all events and clean-ups be done following COVID-19 protocols at that time. https://www.myhealthunit.ca/en/health-topics/coronavirus.asp
Be Safe! Be Kind! Have Fun!
Thank you for your dedication to North Bay as a Clean Green & Beautiful steward! Your well-being and enjoyment are important to us.
PLEASE FOLLOW THE CURRENT COVID 19 PROTOCOL AS PRESCRIBED BY THE HEALTH UNIT.
- Work with a partner when possible– safer and more fun too! COVID PROTOCOL
- Involve the kids, and be sure they’re safe and supervised.
- Wear appropriate footwear, clothing, sunscreen, and eye protection (when necessary).
- Wear gloves or some form of hand protection. If you have them, use Grip n’ Grab pickup sticks.
- Always sweep, rake or shovel glass.
- For Emergencies, call 911.
- If you find sharps in the community, and are able to pick them up safely, please follow these instructions:
- Do not walk while holding the sharp object
- Bring a puncture-proof, hard-sided, leak-proof container with a lid, such as a pickle jar or bleach container, to the area where the object is. Do not recap, bend, break the needle or manipulate it by hand in any way
- Place the object in the container. Use tongs if available. If tongs are not available pick up the needle/sharp from the blunt end and secure the lid
- Wash hands thoroughly with soap and water
- Label the container “hazardous waste” and bring to the Health Unit for proper disposal
Working near Streets, Roads & Curbs
- Stay off the street or roadway when possible.
- When working in or around a gutter, work from the sidewalk side – not from the street.
- If cleaning up along a busy street near traffic, wear a bright reflective work vest or bright-colored clothing.
- Cross streets at signals or crosswalks, not mid-block.
- Feel free to pull weeds from the sidewalk cracks, boulevards and curbs.
Working near Waterways
- Stick to the shoreline – don’t go into the water. (If you find large items in creeks or streams, do not remove, contact the North Bay-Mattawa Conservation Authority at 705 474-5420 [email protected])
- Watch your footing on slopes and shorelines.
- Never allow children to work on steep slopes or near shorelines without adult supervision.
- Always work with a partner near water – water is still cold so be careful! It’s ok to wear a lifejacket while working near water!
- Avoid touching unfamiliar plantings. Some plants are invasive and spread easily. Some are toxic. If you don’t know, don’t touch. Bathe and wash clothes after potential contact.
Disposing of Debris Safely
- Separate collected materials into recycling and garbage.
- Dispose of recycling in your residential blue box.
- Dispose of small amounts of trash in your CGB Bags.
- Place your CGB Bag at curbside. Miller Waste will pick up these bags April to November. (These bags aren’t included in your household bag limit)
- Always be courteous and respectful to your fellow stewards.
- If you’re cleaning up on City property or right of ways, all volunteers are expected to conduct themselves in a safe, courteous, and legal manner.
- Please don’t trespass on private property – ask for permission if you’d like to help out a neighbour!
- Engage your neighbours, friends and local corner store or business to keep their property tidy.
- Challenge your co-workers! Plan an employee wellness clean-up day at work.
- Count the number of bags you collect and report back to Clean, Green, Beautiful.
- The website is: www.cleangreenbeautiful.com
- Post your before and after photos of your clean-up! Use the hashtag #NBCleanGreenBeautiful on social media.
- Tell a story of the people and the place you’re stewarding.
- What inspired you to join in North Bay Clean Green Beautiful?
- What would you do if you had $1000 to beautify North Bay?
- What do you love most about our North Bay?